Second Helpings was started and is still run by volunteers. The organization is guided by a dedicated Board of Directors who oversee every aspect of the food rescue operation from volunteer recruitment, agency relations to fund development and logistics. They care about this community and those who need our help.
Our mission is to alleviate hunger by excelling in the ongoing development and management of a distribution channel between food donors and charitable food providers.
The Board developed a set of Core Values which Second Helpings stands by:
- Collaboration– We will work together with our network members (food donors and recipient agencies), to provide food to as many people as possible in the South Carolina Lowcountry.
- Volunteers – We recognize that our volunteers are our most important asset and will support them in any way possible so that they can fulfill our mission of rescuing food.
- Safety –Safety of our volunteers and employees is paramount and we will do whatever it takes to provide an safe and accident-free workplace.
- Reliability– There should be no reason other than safety of our volunteers that prevents us from picking up and delivering the food.
- Integrity– We will work to ensure a fair, safe, and equitable distribution of food to our recipient agencies and the public.
- Empowerment– By providing food to people in need, we are giving them stability and a chance at a successful and more fulfilling life.
- Stewardship– We will effectively and responsibly manage the financial resources given us by our fiscal donors.