Second Helpings staff and board thank Hargray's Caring Coins Foundation for the recent grant that will make a major impact in keeping the Second Helpings trucks rolling in 2018. Thanks to the generous Hargray Customers who round up their monthly bill to give back to the community.
We were very proud to join the celebration of this Milestone on December 12 at the Sonesta Resort Shipyard Plantation. These funds are within the Community Foundation of the Lowcountry.
The Board of the Hampton Hall Charitable Fund granted funds to Second Helpings for fuel to keep our trucks rolling. Second Helpings' nine refrigerated trucks supply 80 percent or more of the food distributed to people facing food insecurity in three counties. The food is picked up from food donors and distributed FREE OF ANY FEES! Second Helpings is the only local nonprofit organization rescuing food in the lowcountry. Support your local agencies that help your neighbors. Thank you Hampton Hall!
Involved Volunteer Joins Board for Community Hunger Organization
Jo Pender, a resident of Hilton Head Island, is joining the board of directors of Second Helpings, the local nonprofit that is dedicated to alleviating hunger in our community. Pender most recently organized the silent auction for Second Helpings fundraising event held in September. The annual event raised thousands of dollars needed for the organization that rescues food and provides that food free to over 60 agencies in Beaufort, Jasper, and Hampton counties.
Since moving to Hilton Head in 2015, Pender has been involved as an Operation 200% tutor at Hilton Head Elementary School, taught literacy classes at the Literacy Center, and volunteered to help feed the hungry through Second Helpings. Previously, she was a board member of the Assistance League of Houston, TX, and served as president of that organization.
Lili Coleman, executive director of Second Helpings, said Pender has already proven to be a valuable member of the organization’s volunteer corps. “As a board member, Jo Pender brings a wealth of knowledge of nonprofits, strategic planning, and development to Second Helpings,” Coleman stated. “We welcome Jo and other caring community members who want to get involved in programs to rescue and distribute food.”
For her part, Pender said she is impressed with the generosity of citizens in this area. “It was shocking to learn that one in seven residents in this area is unable to afford all the food they need. When I learned about the great work of Second Helpings to provide food to those who would otherwise not have it, I was compelled to get involved. I look forward to working with other volunteers to meet the food needs of families.”
- Hargray's Caring Coins Foundation Celebrates $3 million in donations
- Thank you Hampton Hall Charitable Fund
- Jo Pender Joins Second Helpings Board of Directors
- October Food Drive to help Hilton Head Employees who ride the Palmetto Breeze buses
- Congratulations to Palmetto Bluff - Recipient of the Founder Award
- September is Hunger Awareness Month
- Second Annual Hunger Games To Benefit Second Helpings
- Thank You - Long Cove Plantations residents
- Beaufort farms to provide fresh produce to Second Helpings partner agencies
- Share The Bounty - September 21, 2017
- Junior Service League of Beaufort Grant Reward 2016
- Grant from Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina
- Grant from Wexford Plantation Charitable Foundation
- Women in Philanthropy provides Grant to Second Helpings
- WOMEN POWER!!!
- Grant Received from Beaufort County Community Services
- Grant Received from Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation
- Second Helpings obtains grant for Fresh Food Initiative
- Group46 Received ADDY Award for Creative Word on Behalf of Second Helpings
- Second Helpings receives grant from the Belfair 1811 Charitable Fund
- Second Helpings hires new Executive Director
- Share the Bounty Success
- Doubling Down on Giving
- Top Ten States with the Highest Grocery Bills
- As the saying goes “It takes a village” but in our case a farm
- Share the Bounty - September 29
- Become a Food Waste Warrior
- 2015 Impact of Second Helpings
- Civitas Award 2014: Outstanding Non-Profit
- The Island News: Second Helpings
- SC Secretary of State Designates Second Helpings as a 2013 Angel Charity