Dave Dempsey of Dempsey Farms and Urbie West of Pinckney Farms in Beaufort worked together to provide fresh produce to more than 15 agencies free of charge, delivered by Second Helpings. This effort was made possible through grants to provide Healthy Food to people in need.
During the month of June, the produce was paid, in part, through a grant provided by Long Cove Plantation residents on Hilton Head Island during their 2016-2017 grant cycle.
THANK YOU LONG COVE! Because of you over 150 families received freshly-picked produce, just days out of the farm fields. You can’t get much fresher than that!
For Immediate Release
Second Helpings, with funding provided by the Beaufort County Service Organization and Long Cove and other donors implemented Phase One of their Healthy Food Pilot Program by partnering with Dempsey Farms and Pinckney Farms in Beaufort during the month of June. With these funds and others over 700 families will receive 20 pound boxes each full of fresh produce picked days before delivery by Dempsey and Pickney farms.
“Despite the tremendous amount of food donated by our food donors, made up of local grocery stores and restaurants, there is still a need for more fresh produce,” said Margie Tomczak, chairperson of Second Helpings Health Food Initiative. “The Second Helping board has initiated a Healthy Food Program to purchase fresh produce during the growing season. This produce will be delivered at no cost to the agencies we serve.”
Since last Fall, Second Helpings has received hundreds of pounds of free fresh produce from Dempsey Farms in addition to the produce received from grocery store donations. This produce has been distributed to over 60 agencies in Beaufort, Hampton and Jasper counties.
“This month, both Dave Dempsey of Dempsey Farms and Urbie West of Pinckney Farms personally boxed up over 700 20-pound boxes with produce from their fields,” explained Tomczak. “These boxes will be packed every week for four weeks. The first week boxes included tomatoes, onions, peppers, sweet potatoes, squash and other produce and it will change weekly depending on the yield.”
Recipient agencies were encouraged to distribute one box per family and also to break down the boxes to offer produce to all of the people in need of fresh produce.
“Donations and grants make this program possible and this is only the beginning,” said Jan Malinowski, president of Palmetto State Bank and president of Second Helpings. “Healthy eating helps a child to learn, a parent can control diseases resulting from eating too much processed food and it leads to a more productive and healthy community. It’s a win-win for everyone. We look forward to growing this program.”
Second Helpings annual event SHARE THE BOUNTY is a popular fall event on Hilton Head and tickets sell out quickly. Buy your ticket today to guarantee your seat at the table.
Date of Event: Thursday, September 21, 2017
Time: 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Location: Champions Ballroom in the clubhouse of the famed Harbour Town Golf Links at Sea Pines Resort
Price: $100 per person
For ticket information contact email@example.com or call Second Helpings at 843-689-3689. To receive updates on the event and auction items provide us with your email address when you purchase your tickets.
This event includes a fabulous dinner, silent and live auction items, entertainment and a chance to support an agency that rescues food and provides the food to over 60 agencies in Beaufort, Jasper and Hampton counties...FREE OF CHARGE. All proceeds benefit Second Helpings.
View and print our Share the Bounty 2017 event flyer.
- Thank You - Long Cove Plantations residents
- Beaufort farms to provide fresh produce to Second Helpings partner agencies
- Share The Bounty - September 21, 2017
- Junior Service League of Beaufort Grant Reward 2016
- Grant from Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina
- Grant from Wexford Plantation Charitable Foundation
- Women in Philanthropy provides Grant to Second Helpings
- WOMEN POWER!!!
- Grant Received from Beaufort County Community Services
- Grant Received from Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation
- Second Helpings obtains grant for Fresh Food Initiative
- Group46 Received ADDY Award for Creative Word on Behalf of Second Helpings
- Second Helpings receives grant from the Belfair 1811 Charitable Fund
- Second Helpings hires new Executive Director
- Share the Bounty Success
- Doubling Down on Giving
- Top Ten States with the Highest Grocery Bills
- As the saying goes “It takes a village” but in our case a farm
- Share the Bounty - September 29
- Become a Food Waste Warrior
- 2015 Impact of Second Helpings
- Civitas Award 2014: Outstanding Non-Profit
- The Island News: Second Helpings
- SC Secretary of State Designates Second Helpings as a 2013 Angel Charity