Sending a ROARING Thank you to the Foundation For The Carolinas for their grant to support Truck Operations. They are a valued partner in the fight against hunger in the Lowcountry. Go PANTHERS!
Special thank you to Long Cove Club Community Endowment Fund within the Community Foundation of the Lowcountry for their most recent grant. These funds will cover the cost to upgrade our website to make it more user-friendly and to help us spread the word about hunger in the Lowcountry. You are THE latest SECOND HELPER!
An effort to supply bags of food to riders of Palmetto Breeze Transit got a boost today from the Sonesta Resort, Hilton Head Island. The Sonesta donated $3,500 to enable Second Helpings to purchase 700 thermal bags that are used in the FILL THE NEED program. The Hilton Head Island-Bluffton Chamber of Commerce facilitated the donation.
Second Helpings coordinates FILL THE NEED with Palmetto Breeze Transit. Through this effort, every Thursday, since October 2017, Second Helpings volunteers fill bags of food for workers who commute to Hilton Head Island for work via the Palmetto Breeze buses.
Jay Wiendl, general manager at the Sonesta Resort, said, “The work that Second Helpings does for our community is truly special, and our Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island family is simply honored to play a small part in the continued success.”
Margie Tomczak coordinates FILL THE NEED as a volunteer and board member for Second Helpings, a role she has held since the program started in October, 2017. According to Tomczak, “We are close to completing our second year of the FILL THE NEED program. The previous thermal bags are very worn. We have had a number of riders who have been receiving food weekly since the beginning. These new thermal bags, donated by the Sonesta, are much bigger and stronger. With the summer upon us it is critical that the riders transport the frozen meats and other perishable food items safely during their hour-plus ride home on the bus. We are so grateful for this wonderful donation.”
Larry Landry, president of the Second Helpings board of directors, also thanked the Chamber leadership. “We are very grateful for the support of Hilton Head Bluffton Chamber of Commerce and its President and CEO Bill Miles to facilitate this wonderful donation from Sonesta Resort and its General Manager Jay Wiendl.”
Chamber President & CEO Bill Miles said, “The partnership between Second Helpings and our tourism community is an impactful relationship for all of those involved. The Sonesta Resort’s dedication to being a strong community partner supports Second Helpings’ commitment to feeding those in need. We applaud their success and their cooperative effort to make a difference in the Lowcountry.”
The Chamber recognized Second Helpings and Palmetto Breeze Transit as Organization of the Year in 2018 because of the FILL THE NEED program. FILL THE NEED was started in response to a concern from Palmetto Breeze leaders who recognize that many of the individuals who ride the buses to work on Hilton Head get home too late to go to food banks and pantries for food. One recipient estimates the food saves her at least $80 a month. Another benefit is that the program operates on Thursday, the day before many of the riders are paid on Friday, so food is in short supply.
Second Helpings supplies 57 agencies in Beaufort, Jasper, and Hampton counties with food rescued from 30 food donors. More than 300 volunteers staff eight refrigerated trucks to pick up and deliver food that is free to senior centers, food pantries, and other agencies.
- Foundation For The Carolinas
- Long Cove Community Endowment Fund within the CFLC
- Sonesta Resort Supports FILL THE NEED Program of Second Helpings/Palmetto Breeze Transit
- ReFED Report Worth Reading
- Tuesday, August 6 is Pizza Night in Beaufort
- Postal Food Drive was Mother's Day Weekend
- BI-LO Community Bag Program for Second Helpings kicks off April 1
- Birdies for Charity Benefits Second Helpings
- No Day Off at Second Helpings
- Food Lion Feeds Foundation Awards Grant to Second Helpings
- Second Helpings named 2018 PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
- Grant received from 2018 Hampton Lake Tiger Bass Race
- Grant Received from Hilton Head Area Association of Realtors
- A special thank you to Community Foundation of the Lowcountry
- The Church Mouse Thrift Shop provides grant for training
- Board Member is recognized by Morgan Stanley for his efforts on behalf of Second Helpings
- Job Opening in Beaufort - Join our Team
- Christmas comes early to Second Helpings
- Letter Carriers Food Drive
- Dataw Island Resident Joins Board of Directors of Second Helpings
- Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation Awards Second Helpings two grants in 2017-2018
- Employer HR Group helps Second Helpings
- Palmetto Breeze Transit and Second Helpings partner to FILL THE NEED!
- Second Helpings Wins Organization of the Year Award for Program to Provide with Palmetto Breeze Transit
- Hargray's Caring Coins Foundation Celebrates $3 million in donations
- Thank you Hampton Hall Charitable Fund
- Donate the Value of a Meal to Help Feed the Hungry
- Jo Pender Joins Second Helpings Board of Directors
- October Food Drive to help Hilton Head Employees who ride the Palmetto Breeze buses
- Congratulations to Palmetto Bluff - Recipient of the Founder Award
- September is Hunger Awareness Month
- Second Annual Hunger Games To Benefit Second Helpings
- Thank You - Long Cove Plantations residents
- Beaufort farms to provide fresh produce to Second Helpings partner agencies
- Share The Bounty - September 21, 2017
- Junior Service League of Beaufort Grant Reward 2016
- Grant from Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina
- Grant from Wexford Plantation Charitable Foundation
- Women in Philanthropy provides Grant to Second Helpings
- WOMEN POWER!!!
- Grant Received from Beaufort County Community Services
- Grant Received from Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation
- Second Helpings obtains grant for Fresh Food Initiative
- Group46 Received ADDY Award for Creative Word on Behalf of Second Helpings
- Second Helpings receives grant from the Belfair 1811 Charitable Fund
- Second Helpings hires new Executive Director
- Share the Bounty Success
- Doubling Down on Giving
- Top Ten States with the Highest Grocery Bills
- As the saying goes “It takes a village” but in our case a farm
- Share the Bounty - September 29
- Become a Food Waste Warrior
- 2015 Impact of Second Helpings
- Civitas Award 2014: Outstanding Non-Profit
- The Island News: Second Helpings
- SC Secretary of State Designates Second Helpings as a 2013 Angel Charity