The Lucky One..
Imagine, you are all alone and scared. The only connection with the outside world is the daily news. That’s even more scary. You visit with family and friends on Facetime. That is, when you can get it to work. You are 93 years old, residing in an independent facility and your meals are being left on a chair outside your door to support “social distancing.”
In your entire lifetime, this is the first time you’ve experienced anything like this. You remember World War II, but you were just a young spirited teenager so you had little knowledge of what was really going on. All you knew is that the local roller skating rink was waiting for you and the young soldiers looked so handsome.
You are luckier than some and you know it.
Those Not So Lucky...
There are hundreds of seniors and elderly people locked down in their homes with little food and no outside contact. They wait for a good samaritan to bring them a meal from the local food pantry. They depend on that food to stay healthy.
One local agency in Beaufort is supplying meals daily to 56 seniors near them and conducting a wellness check. The agency volunteers receive the frozen meals once a week and deliver them daily. Won’t you help us, help them feed their older neighbors? Make a donation to Second Helpings of $56 or $112 and we will know where you want us to spend your gift. It will support the effort to feed our elderly neighbors. Visit www.secondhelpingslc.org today.
Bruce Algar, office administrator for Second Helpings, followed the new Safe Distancing Protocol on Thursday abling six agency representatives to take delivery of much needed fresh protein. Bruce met the NLAWS truck in the Walmart parking lot in Hardeeville, sorted orders and guided the agency representatives to claim their food order.
Pictured here is Constance Martin Witter, of Bluffton Soup Kitchen taking delivery. These deliveries were made possible through generous individual donations for COVID-19. Thank you, Bruce and agency representatives, so much for your hard work and teamwork.
Kelley Eby, our North of the Broad Coordinator, helped Dave Dempsey of Dempsey Farms on St. Helena Island on Wednesday, pick up 350 plants for the spring and summer harvest.
Second Helpings, in partnership with Dempsey Farms, grows healthy food offerings and share the bountiful harvest with Second Helpings to deliver to local food pantries.
Thank you, Dave and Kelley, for planning for the months ahead.
- Caring for our Elderly
- Second Helpings Office Administrator Practices Safe Distancing with NLAWS Order
- Picking Up Plantings for Spring's Harvest - Fresh Produce Ready to Grow
- Non-Perishable Food Order Completed
- COVID-19 - New NO CONTACT Policy for Volunteers
- A Few Good Men and Women - Volunteers Needed
- Call Second Helpings to Pick Up Food Donations
- Thank you Wexford for Funding and an amazing Lunch Reception
- Beaufort Community Services Grant to Support Healthy Initiative Program
- Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation Member Mingle Showcases Grantees
- Special Thank you to The Church Mouse
- Thank you so much BARGAIN BOX
- Special thank you to Calhoun Station - a Thrift Store for Charity
- Tackle Hunger and Sample Soup at 2nd Annual SouperBowl of Caring
- Hilton Head Firefighters' Association Awards Grant in support of K-12 Food Rescue Program
- 16-20 Hours a Week of Volunteer Time Helps Spread the Love to Hilton Head Workforce
- Beaufort Memorial Hospital joins the businesses providing rescued food to Second Helpings
- Second Helpings announces 2020 Board of Directors
- Canned Food Drive Benefits Second Helpings FILL THE NEED
- Spice and Tea Supports Second Helpings for a Second Year
- Bargain Box Awards New Grant to Second Helpings
- Palmetto Electric Trust grants funds in support of Healthy Food
- Hargray's Caring Coins Awards Grant for Food Rescue
- Berkeley Hall Charitable Fund Awards Healthy Food Grant
- Thank you to Hudson's Seafood and All the Thanksgiving Guests Who Feasted at the Community Dinner
- AND THE WINNER IS....
- Thank you Hampton Lake Tiger Bass Charitable Fund
- Hampton Lake Tiger Bass Race Charitable Fund Awards Grant to Second Helpings
- Gift Giving Made Easy: Buy or Give a Trip to Portugal...Sweet 16 Days Left to Buy Your Raffle Ticket
- Visit One of the Seven Natural Wonders of Portugal
- The Spice and Tea Exchange Collecting Food Donations for Second Helpings
- SHARE THE BOUNTY annual event presents Founder Awards
- Wells Fargo Advisors on Hilton Head Clean Second Helpings' trucks.
- Fine Wine and Dining Offered in SHARE THE BOUNTY Silent Auction
- Original Art Piece by Julie Jones Available at Second Helpings SHARE THE BOUNTY
- Chef Rollison of Lucky Rooster Offers Up a Great Silent Auction Item at SHARE THE BOUNTY. You have to attend to bid!
- Another great silent auction item at SHARE THE BOUNTY, Sept 26
- Raffle Tickets for a "Once in a Lifetime" Trip to Portugal
- Exciting New Silent Auction Item only available at our annual event SHARE THE BOUNTY
- One of the many silent action items at SHARE THE BOUNTY, September 26
- Tuesday, August 6 is Pizza Night in Beaufort
- Round It Up for Second Helpings at Frankie Bones in 2019
- Whole Foods Anniversary Celebration Benefits Second Helpings
- Foundation For The Carolinas
- Long Cove Community Endowment Fund within the CFLC
- Sonesta Resort Supports FILL THE NEED Program of Second Helpings/Palmetto Breeze Transit
- ReFED Report Worth Reading
- Postal Food Drive was Mother's Day Weekend
- BI-LO Community Bag Program for Second Helpings kicks off April 1
- Whole Foods to donate 5% of sales on April 18 to Second Helpings
- Birdies for Charity Benefits Second Helpings
- No Day Off at Second Helpings
- Food Lion Feeds Foundation Awards Grant to Second Helpings
- Second Helpings named 2018 PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
- Grant received from 2018 Hampton Lake Tiger Bass Race
- Grant Received from Hilton Head Area Association of Realtors
- A special thank you to Community Foundation of the Lowcountry
- The Church Mouse Thrift Shop provides grant for training
- Board Member is recognized by Morgan Stanley for his efforts on behalf of Second Helpings
- Job Opening in Beaufort - Join our Team
- Christmas comes early to Second Helpings
- Letter Carriers Food Drive
- Dataw Island Resident Joins Board of Directors of Second Helpings
- Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation Awards Second Helpings two grants in 2017-2018
- Employer HR Group helps Second Helpings
- Palmetto Breeze Transit and Second Helpings partner to FILL THE NEED!
- Second Helpings Wins Organization of the Year Award for Program to Provide with Palmetto Breeze Transit
- Hargray's Caring Coins Foundation Celebrates $3 million in donations
- Thank you Hampton Hall Charitable Fund
- Donate the Value of a Meal to Help Feed the Hungry
- Jo Pender Joins Second Helpings Board of Directors
- October Food Drive to help Hilton Head Employees who ride the Palmetto Breeze buses
- Congratulations to Palmetto Bluff - Recipient of the Founder Award
- September is Hunger Awareness Month
- Second Annual Hunger Games To Benefit Second Helpings
- Thank You - Long Cove Plantations residents
- Beaufort farms to provide fresh produce to Second Helpings partner agencies
- Share The Bounty - September 21, 2017
- Junior Service League of Beaufort Grant Reward 2016
- Grant from Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina
- Grant from Wexford Plantation Charitable Foundation
- Women in Philanthropy provides Grant to Second Helpings
- WOMEN POWER!!!
- Grant Received from Beaufort County Community Services
- Grant Received from Berkeley Hall Charitable Foundation
- Second Helpings obtains grant for Fresh Food Initiative
- Group46 Received ADDY Award for Creative Word on Behalf of Second Helpings
- Second Helpings receives grant from the Belfair 1811 Charitable Fund
- Second Helpings hires new Executive Director
- Share the Bounty Success
- Doubling Down on Giving
- Top Ten States with the Highest Grocery Bills
- As the saying goes “It takes a village” but in our case a farm
- Share the Bounty - September 29
- Become a Food Waste Warrior
- 2015 Impact of Second Helpings
- Civitas Award 2014: Outstanding Non-Profit
- The Island News: Second Helpings
- SC Secretary of State Designates Second Helpings as a 2013 Angel Charity